Pilar Swanson, most commonly referred to as 'Swan' by her students, spends most of her time teaching at Amity High School while currently serving as the ceramic's, drawing, and yearbook instructor. After receiving her Bachelor of Arts from George Fox University, Pilar continued to reside at George Fox to obtain her Masters in Teaching. Despite having an art background throughout her life, she would comment that being able to teach is her art skill. She would continue to say that despite understanding the various art elements and principals of design, teaching is her true passion.
Pilar's work is heavily influenced by tribal belly dancing, Alphonse Mucha, and Trina Schart Hyman's illustrations which causes her work to dynamic but retain this flowing fantasy appeal. This love for movement and line transcends into her ceramic pieces. Repeating lines and circles often accompany many of her ceramic pieces due to their simple elegance and repetition.
Art is something that can not be forced, it just becomes and then it exists. I tell my students that clay can not be forced, it is gently reminded. When you draw, don't look for perfection but just allow your pencil to flow. Like clay, art is stubborn.
Depending on the medium, I look for movement. I want my work to define movement, emotion, passion and some unknown feeling.
Either it be ceramic's or a watercolor illustration. I navigate toward organic shapes that are simple but elegant.
A few more important facts about me...
- I'm an official 501st member and Portland Cloud City Garrison member (the 501st is the official Star Wars costuming group)
- Science-Fiction nerd (Star Wars, Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek Next Generation, Star Trek Enterprise, Falling Skies, Fire Fly, etc.)
- Coffee is my preferred poison
- Comic, Anime, and Video Game connoisseur and critic (Voltron Legendary Defender, Dragon Age Inquisition, Avatar the Last Airbender, X-Men, the list goes on...)
- I go to Conventions...(Rose City Comic Con, Kumoricon, hopefully Emerald City Comic Con)
- Sheep are my favorite animal specially Hampshires
- I am a through backpacker, downhill skier, and boulder-er (I like to climb things)